Solvinf ARP on 2.4.7

Malcolm Cowe malcolm_cowe at agilent.com
Fri Aug 3 14:13:03 BST 2001

Hello again,

Okay so NAT isn't working for me in a one card, one network setup (I can
access the services if the client is on a separate subnet, but not if
the client is on the same subnet). I'm not too bothered, because I fancy
a shot at this DR stuff.

The standard contrib patch for 2.4.2 does not work with the 2.4.7
kernel, so I went to Julian's page and looked at the patches section --
and of course I have a question. I see that the 2.4.7 patch has stuff in
it for using a the LVS director as a gateway in DR setups -- is this
essential to the successful running of a DR setup? Again, I'm going for
a one NIC, one network topology, with clients, director and real-servers
on the same subnet (it will be easier to package and scale if we don't
have to create bridged private subnets when instantiating a new
cluster), and I'm getting confused.

I had thought that I just apply the hidden patch to the linux
real-servers, faff around with the ifocnfig options on our HP-UX 10.20
real-servers, and apply the lvs patch to the director. Do I need the
shared hoo-hah patch for the director too?

I apologise for sucking up bandwidth with such trivialities, but my
head's already swimming! =)

--
Malcolm Cowe.
IT | Information Technology,    eMail: malcolm_cowe at agilent.com
Agilent Technologies Ltd.       External: +44 131 331 6466
South Queensferry, EH30 9TG.    Telnet: 313-3466