tunneling problem.

Julian Anastasov ja at ssi.bg
Mon Aug 6 09:31:08 BST 2001

	Hello,

On Sun, 5 Aug 2001, Shlomo Matichin wrote:

> hi,
>
> first of all, i want to remark that i find the LVS documentation very
> dissappoiting. why is there no word about the new 2.4 kernels? for

	Hm, yes, we have to update the pages. You search for solutions to
the ARP problem:

http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/~julian/

> example, the "hidden" options replaced by "arpfilter"?

	Who talks about such replacement? See, the both exist in 2.2!

> as for my problem: i setup the real server (using the commands below), and
> the director machine cannot ping it. it seems arp replays do not arrive.

	This is bad. It seems you are looking into some tcpdump
output. Can you show it.

> my guess is that the real server sends the arp replay localy, since it has
> a device with the source ip address of the arp request.
>
> this happens with linux-2.4.7, commands used to setup tunneling:
>
> ifconfig tunl0 196.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.255 broadcast 196.168.0.1
> up
>
> route add 196.168.0.1 dev eth0

	I hope you'll not find the following doc disappointing:

http://www.ds9a.nl/2.4Routing/HOWTO//cvs/2.4routing/output/2.4routing.html

	There are sections for routing and tunneling.

	One note: there is no big changes in the routing code between
Linux 2.2 and 2.4. You just need to solve the ARP problem in 2.4

> on the director i then do ping 196.168.0.2 and get "destanation
> unreachable" after the usual arp timeout.
>
> what do you guys think?

	Your routes are wrong. Check again your settings. The ping is the
first thing that should work.

> Shlomo.
>
> --
> Shlomo Matichin       shlomom at cs.huji.ac.il