Real Server Monitoring

Malcolm Cowe malcolm_cowe at agilent.com
Tue Aug 7 13:46:45 BST 2001

HP's MC/ServiceGuard cluster software monitors NFS using the "rpcinfo"
command -- it can be quite sensitive to network congestion, but it is
probably the best tool for monitoring this kind of service.

The problem with listing an NFS exported directory is that when the
service bombs, ls will wait for quite a while -- you don't want the
director hanging because of an NFS query that's gone awry. =)

Malcolm.

P.S. I've now established a modest service for XDM login access via the
cluster (currently LVS w/ NAT, using HP-UX real-servers). Thanks for all
your help. Works well -- all I need now are some startup scripts, the
real-server monitoring and director fail-over! It's a small list.

--
Malcolm Cowe.
IT | Information Technology,    eMail: malcolm_cowe at agilent.com
Agilent Technologies Ltd.       External: +44 131 331 6466
South Queensferry, EH30 9TG.    Telnet: 313-3466