newbie, which need an urgent answer

Lorn Kay lorn_kay at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 8 00:01:03 BST 2001

I have built a cluster that is something like what you have described
(without CODA) and have found that some of what you want can be done this
way.

Two machines can load share with LVS with one acting as the director (I used
NAT) but things quickly become more complicated when the primary Director
fails and heartbeat has to fire up a new director on the backup server that
only delivers packets locally (or write a whole new script that doesn't
bother with a one-node director). It can be done but it is more complex than
I think it should be. A better solution (IMO) would be to just use two boxes
as directors, and then offer services from inside the cluster from Real
Servers (much easier to maintain clone Real Servers and grow your cluster
that way--see http://systemimager.org/).

For file replication between the servers you can use RSYNC if you don't have
to worry abount file/record locking, but I think a better solution would be
to add a Network Attached Storage (NAS) device to the cluster (sort of
"behind" the Real Servers). Then use NFS between the NAS and the Real
Servers and let NFS take care of file/record locking problems. (I suppose
you could use RAID and NFS on a Linux box as a NAS server instead of a
product from EMC or Network Appliance, etc.) And if you are worried about a
single NAS box use some type of snap-shot method to a stand-by NAS server.

In my opinion this would help to keep things simple and much easier to
maintain so that each box only has to assume one role: Director, Real Server
or NAS.

Just my 2 cents...

--K