404 errors running an LVS-Tun

Joe Peters joseph.peters at umb.edu
Mon Aug 27 21:21:03 BST 2001

Hi,

We are running a linux cluster based upon Red Hat 6.2 kernel (2.2.14). We
are using IP tunneling to send the traffic from the director to two real
servers.

We occasionally encounter a problem where our home page cannot be found. A
refresh of the page solves the problem. We have not been able to produce the
problem using a Netscape browser. Internet Explorer seems to trigger the
problem.

Has anyone ever heard or seen something like this? I'm trying to figure out
whether the problem is a DNS issue (we recently changed the DNS information
for the Web site), an issue with LVS or a browser based issue (all sorts of
cache configurations on the browser seem to do no good).

To hide the ARP we have used the following commands on the real servers:
echo 1 > /proc/suys/net/ipv4/conf/tunl0/hidden
echo 1 > /proc/suys/net/ipv4/conf/all/hidden

On the real servers, we have also enabled IP forwarding.

--
Joe Peters
Webmaster