Hidden patch

Joseph Mack mack.joseph at epa.gov
Wed May 8 17:11:49 BST 2002

Horms wrote:

> It is actually something you may want to do. For example.

Thanks for an example.

> Imagine you have a dialup server, 192.168.0.1, which sits on the
> 192.168.0.0/24 network.  Now each dialup user is going to get their own ip
> address, but 192.168.0.0/24 is your server network, so these ip addresses
                                                         ^^^^^
you mean the dialup client?

> are on a different network, lets say 10.0.7.0/24. Now when the dailup users
> come in, there is no need for the dialup-server to have an address on the
> 10.0.7.0/24 network, it is just a point to point link,

with point-to-point you can route between two IPs in different networks?

> so you can have for
> instance.
>
> [client]<-------->[dialup-server]
> 10.0.7.7          192.168.0.1
> ppp0              ppp0
>
> But the dialup-server already has 192.168.0.1 on eth0.

This was in the first statement. Why do you restate it here?
I assume the location of 192.168.0.1 is of interest here
but I don't get it.

> Thus you have the
> same IP address on multiple interfaces.

which other interface has 192.168.0.1 (if this is the IP
of interest here).

> In fact it would have the same IP
> address on eth0 and each of the ppp interfaces.

thanks

mailto:mack.joseph at epa.gov ph# 919-541-0007, RTP, NC, USA