What file systems....

Matthew S. Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Wed May 15 01:11:59 BST 2002

On Tue, 14 May 2002, BrianJackson wrote:

> I am curious to know what filesystems most people are going with in their
> virtual servers? Are most people using a network file system, local/mirrored
> file system, or something else? Also, what file system do people think would
> be a good choice for a web/ftp/mail cluster?

My LVS servers are currently EXT2 but I'm either going to go with a
diskless server using netboot or a CD based server.  Our LVS is becoming
our firewall (using NAT) and I'd rather have it stay bullet proof.  CD
based if it gets compromised I just reboot it.

Working machines have local disks for qmail queue and /etc /boot which are
EXT3.  Working data (/home, /usr, /shared, /webspace) lives on a Network
Appliance Netfiler.   I really can't say enough about the NetApps they are
simply awesome.  You pay a chunk of money but it is money well spent.

-Matt

Matthew S. Crocker
Vice President / Internet Division         Email: matthew at crocker.com
Crocker Communications                     Phone: (413) 587-3350
PO BOX 710                                 Fax:   (413) 587-3352
Greenfield, MA 01302-0710                  http://www.crocker.com