LVS Director as default gw?

Aihua Liu liuah at langchaobj.com.cn
Thu May 22 03:08:12 BST 2003

>On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 04:50:38PM +0800, Aihua Liu wrote:
>> Hi,
>>   I want to use LVS-NAT mode. But I don't want to set LVS Director as
>>   the default gateway.
>>
>>   Can I modify both source IP and destination IP addresses at the
>>   Director? If yes, How can I do it? And anyone has other methods to
>>   resolve this please help me. Thank you
>
>Hi,
>
>I think that this is theoretically possible if you also
>have the real servers rewrite the source address of reply
>packets as the VIP.
>
>However, you are probably a lot better off to just use LVS-DR.
>It allows the (actually requires) the return path to the
>real servers not to go through the Linux Director.

Horms,
    As I know, the Director with LVS-NAT rewrites the destination IP address for incoming packets, and rewrites the source IP address for outgoing packets.

    I wonder if the Director can rewrites both the source IP address and destination IP address for all packets. For example, Director replaces the destination IP address with real servers' IP address and replaces the source IP address with Director private IP address for incoming packets. Then real servers don't have to set the Director as default gateway. LVS can do it? Thank you