LVS Director as default gw?

Malcolm Turnbull Malcolm.Turnbull at crocus.co.uk
Thu May 22 09:56:16 BST 2003

Aihua Liu wrote:
>>On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 04:50:38PM +0800, Aihua Liu wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>  I want to use LVS-NAT mode. But I don't want to set LVS Director as
>>>  the default gateway.
>>>
>>>  Can I modify both source IP and destination IP addresses at the
>>>  Director? If yes, How can I do it? And anyone has other methods to
>>>  resolve this please help me. Thank you
>>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I think that this is theoretically possible if you also
>>have the real servers rewrite the source address of reply
>>packets as the VIP.
>>
>>However, you are probably a lot better off to just use LVS-DR.
>>It allows the (actually requires) the return path to the
>>real servers not to go through the Linux Director.
>>
>>--
>>Horms
>

> Horms,
>   As I know, the lvs director with NAT rewrites the destination IP address for incoming packets and rewrites the source IP address for outgoing packets. Thus real server must set lvs director as default gateway.
>
>   Now I wonder if the lvs director can rewrite both destination IP address and source IP address for all packets. Example, director replace the destionation IP address with real server's IP address and replace the source IP address with director's private address.So real server don't have to set director as default gateway. Can lvs do it? Thank you

I also think that would be a nice feature for LVS .. F5 call it SNAT
(secure NAT) for daft marketing reasons and I guess 30-40% of their
customers use it because it is so easy to configure.

Probably not trivial to program though ?

Malcolm Turnbull.

Crocus.co.uk Ltd
01344 629629
http://www.crocus.co.uk/