LVS HA

Malcolm Turnbull malcolm at loadbalancer.org
Sat Apr 24 10:33:35 BST 2004

Ulysses Almeida wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   I was thinking about HA and LVS on this situation:
>
>   Every packet that my LVS recives, and needs to retransmit to any Real
> Server, I'd like to replicate to a Backup LVS server.

I don't know any answers but that sounds like one of the two features
that F5 has that LVS doesn't (although I still prefer LVS :-) )

1) On F5 all incomming packets are automaticaly cached in a buffer until
they have been accepted by the real server, if they are not accepted by
the real server then they are sent to a different real server. This
avoids any connection failures if a real server goes down.

2) Above feature is probably easiest in combination with the other F5
feature which I think they call SNAT where packets have the destination
address changed to the real ip of the real server and when the packet
returns the source address is changed from the rip to the vip so the
client is unaware. This works in single arm mode and I think it is now
their default setup.

Malcolm Turnbull

Loadbalancer.org Limited
07715 770523