Broadcast Address for VIP (lo:0)...

Farrell, Doug DFarrell at ScholasticLibrary.com
Tue Aug 10 20:20:42 BST 2004

Sean,

I'd be very interested in how you got LVS/DR on RH 3.0 ES running, like maybe seeing your configuration file. Did you use the RedHat Piranha software or used the LVS software directly?

Thanks,
Doug

-----Original Message-----
From: Sean Rolinson [mailto:snowdog at plusthree.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 3:12 PM
To: lvs-users at linuxvirtualserver.org
Subject: Broadcast Address for VIP (lo:0)...

Hello Group,

I've setup LVS/DR on RH 3.0 ES.  Everything with regards to LVS is working fine and has been for sometime.  However, we ran in to some problems today deploying a package called Spread (http://www.spread.org).

I tracked the problem down to the fact that I had setup the lo:0 inteface with a broadcast address.  The Spread package uses the broadcast address of the network to send out packets.

Pinging the broadcast address of the network from any of the LVS Real Servers only returned the VIP address, which makes sense since the netmask for lo:0 (VIP) was 255.255.255.255.

After removing the broadcast entry from my /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-lo:0 entry, everything "seems" to work fine.

My question to the group: Is it ok to not to have a broadcast entry in for lo:0?  Does LVS need to have a broadcast set for it to work properly?

Thanks...

Sean

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-lo:0 (now)

# LVS (UltraMonkey)
DEVICE=lo:0
IPADDR=192.168.10.20
NETMASK=255.255.255.255