Strange LVS behavior -- any thoughts?

Todd Lyons tlyons at ivenue.com
Wed Aug 11 01:05:00 BST 2004

Tony Requist wanted us to know:

>I have a LVS-DR setup using keepalived balancing HTTP and SMTP connections
>without persistence.  This was working fine and seemingly load balancing
>fine, though with little traffic.  I have a custom compiled 2.6.7 kernel.
>
>Now I am seeing a couple of odd things:
>
>1) All requests are sent to one server, even though "ipvsadm" shows all the
>servers available.  If I reboot or restart keepalived, another server is
>seemingly picked at random to get all the requests.  I am sending requests
>from several different clients and seeing this.

Adjust the arp_ignore and arp_announce settings for each of the real
machines.

site12 root # tail -6 /etc/sysctl.conf
# For load balanced machines
net.ipv4.conf.lo.arp_ignore = 1
net.ipv4.conf.lo.arp_announce = 2
net.ipv4.conf.all.arp_ignore = 1
net.ipv4.conf.all.arp_announce = 2

--
Regards...		Todd
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.       --Benjamin Franklin