Broadcast Address for VIP (lo:0)...

Joseph Mack mack.joseph at epa.gov
Wed Aug 11 14:39:16 BST 2004

Sean Rolinson wrote:

> Hello Group,
>
> I've setup LVS/DR on RH 3.0 ES.  Everything with regards to LVS is working fine and has been for sometime.  However, we ran in to some problems today deploying a package called Spread (http://www.spread.org).

can you turn on line wrap? Your paragraphs are one line and go off the edge of the screeen.

> Is it ok to not to have a broadcast entry in for lo:0?  Does LVS need to have a broadcast set for it to work properly?

The /32 broadcast for the VIP depends on the kernel version and the forwarding method
and is explained in the HOWTO at least for 2.0 and 2.2 kernels. Why you need a /32
netmask for the VIP under some circumstances is beyond me although Horms appears to
understand it.

Clearly if your LVS works, then it's OK.

LMIT, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb at epa.gov