Monitor Traffic By VIP

Roberto Nibali ratz at drugphish.ch
Mon Jul 5 12:09:00 BST 2004

Hello,

> I am running a 2 node lvs-cluster

So you only have 1 RS? ;).

> and was wonder if the list could recommend
> a traffic monitoring program.

SNMP to fetch data and MRTG or rrdtool as a database and some nice GUI
to display the (sometimes wrong) counters.

> My LVS is the frontend for a reverse-proxy cache and I would like to know
> the traffic that each VIP is handling.

How many VIPs do you have?

> I need to know the data rates on a per ip basis.

Data on a per packet or per byte rate base? Also do you mean VIP=ip here?

> I use mrtg at the switch
> level but I need to have more granularity, hence the need for per IP basis.

A normal L3 switch does have information on a per IP basis.

> Any advice you have would be appreciated.

I'm not so sure what exactly you need, I'm afraid.

Best regards,
Roberto Nibali, ratz
--
echo
'[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq' | dc