Interesting Setup?

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sun Aug 7 15:02:49 BST 2005

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005, Jacco van Koll wrote:

>> In your setup on the realservers

you're doing LVS-NAT (I think) so I got some of this wrong

>> all packets from RIP to the RIP network are routed locally.
>>
>> tcp packets from RIP:ssh to 0/0:0 are routed to the 82.x.x.x machine

OK

>> tcp and udp packets from RIP:dns to 0/0:0 are routed to the 82.x.x.x
>> machine
>>
>> tcp and udp packets from VIP:dns are routed to the DIP

there is no VIP on the realservers for LVS-NAT so you
need two sets of rules for DNS, one when you setup for DNS
to be LVS'ed, and one in regular mode

LVS'ed

tcp and udp packets from RIP:dns to 0/0:0 are routed to
the the DIP

regular

tcp and udp packets from RIP:dns are routed to the 82.x.x.x
machine

>> tcp packets from VIP:http and VIP:https are routed to the DIP

this should be RIP:http and RIP:https

>> other packets are not routed (they can't go anywhere),
>> ie you do not have a default route.

backbone routers don't have default routes, so your
machine(s) shouldn't either.