LVS-mini setup problems

Horms horms at verge.net.au
Fri Aug 26 03:56:51 BST 2005

On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 09:15:29AM -0700, Aisha wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to LVS and I have done all the steps described in the minimum
> configuration setup, but i have started to get some errors which i
> can't seem to resolve. When i do modules_install, it tells me that
> there are "unresolved symboles" in ip_vs.o file, namely
> buffermem_pages, nr_free_pages, page_cache_size, ip_mc_join_group.
>
> I have tried a lot of solutions and have tried to patch the kernel
> many times, but to no avial. Please tell me where i might have gone
> wrong.

Hi Aisha,

thanks for your mail. I'm CCing the reply to lvs-users,
as that will get more eyes on the problem. I Hope that you don't mind.

These kind of problems usually have one of three causes.

1. The you turned on some options, like say netfilter, in
   a tree that had alredy been built and some object files didn't
   get rebuilt even though they should have been, and thus some symbols
   are missing. I remember seeing this a lot with 2.4, it seemed
   to be a problem with the build system. Fortunately its easy,
   though a little time consuming to solve.

   From the toplevel directory of your kernel source.

   mv .config ../saved.config
   make mrproper
   mv ../saved.config .config
   make oldconfig
   make bzImage modules ...

2. You have edited your .config file by hand and have managed
   to produce an invalid config - for intance you enabled LVS
   without enabling Netfilter. Don't do this!!! Use make menuconfig
   or make config unless you really know what is going on.

3. The build is fine, but during the course of modules_install,
   depmod is called, and depmod tries to resolve symbols against the
   current running kernel, they don't exist, and you get the errror you
   are seeing.

   This can be resolved most reasily be rebooting into your
   new kernel.