multiple lvs on single interface

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Thu Jan 5 13:12:42 GMT 2006

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006, Muneer wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>   I want to verify whether LVS supports multiple servers on a single
> interface?

You can have any number of IPs on the NIC on the outside of
the director. If this is what you're talking about, then
yes.

> Just like a sample configuration in given in rfc 2338(VRRP)
> section 4.2?

don't recall this off the top of my head, but from what
you're saying next, you have a link layer problem and not an
IP problem. LVS is IP (admittedly with link layer to the
realservers for LVS-DR).

> I was trying to implement such a configuration in Linux. Problem here
> is, there may be a situation when the router acts as master for both
> the virtual routers. Here we have to forward packets whose link layer
> (MAC) address is VRMAC1 or VRMAC2. But Linux IP is dropping the
> packets since we don't have an interface with VRPMAC1 and VRMAC2. NIC
> is receiving the packet and is passing it to ip.
> I have enabled promiscous mode for the interface and
> /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward is 1

Not sure what your setup is (not knowing rfc 2338 4.2). Is
your problem that the director is not accepting the packets?