HPUX and Direct Routing

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Thu Mar 23 18:28:16 GMT 2006

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006, Andreas Lundqvist wrote:

> It still doesn't on an physical interface thats already up
> but on loopback it never arp's regardless of the -arp/arp
> switch.

OK.

On linux the kernel doesn't care which interface has the IP,
it just replies if the machine has the IP. In HPUX the IP
must be tied to the device.

> I did a tcpdump on the interface when I took up the
> loopback interface alias and there wasn't any arp
> request/broadcast on the interface that carries the
> subnet.

did you try these?

http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.arp_problem.html#testing_for_arp

http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/mini-HOWTO/#255_4

> I've seen examples that looks like this:
>
> vip: 10.10.0.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 10.10.0.255

only for the VIP on the director for LVS-NAT

> On realserver it the looks like this:
>
> 10.10.0.10 netmask 255.255.255.255 broadcast 10.10.0.10

for the VIP on all machines in LVS-DR

> But an 255.255.255.255 netmask on HPUX loopback gets an error message so I'm
> forced to use my normal netmask.

there is supposed to be someway to handle this, but I don't
remember what you do to trick the machine.

> Do you see any problems with this?

not if it's working.

if you're still getting load balancing after some testing (a
week, month?), could you send us a description of your setup

o ipvsadm on the director

o number of NICs/networks on director

o how you setup the VIP on the realservers.

o what you did to convince yourself that you'd solved the
arp problem (other than it works - which you can do if
you're lucky without solving the arp problem explicitely)

I'll put it in the HOWTO. HPUX hasn't been used much on
realservers.

Thanks