Cannot get ipvs fwmark service to work

Mindaugas mind at bi.lt
Mon Oct 9 09:28:55 BST 2006

  Hello,

  I'm trying to setup transparent load balanced http proxy using IPVS. And
now I'm stuck trying to make it work.
  Idea is that IPVS gateway is default gateway for other computers and I
want to catch their http requests and redirect them to caching proxy.

  I'm marking passing HTTP packets:

iptables -A PREROUTING -p tcp -m tcp --dport 80 -j MARK --set-mark 0x1

  And I see that packets are being marked in iptables verbose output
(iptables -t mangle -L -vn). Also I tried to look if those packets retain
their mark during travel through kernel and they do. (iptables -A
POSTROUTING -m mark --mark 0x1 -j LOG).

  ipvsadm -Sn shows:
-A -f 1 -s wlc -p 10
-a -f 1 -r 192.168.110.10:0 -m -w 1

  /proc/net/ip_vs* files shows zeros like no packtets were seen.

  What am I doing wrong and hw to debug the problem further?

  I remember that in previous test I succeeded but now cannot remember what
was different.

# uname -a
Linux server 2.6.9-42.0.3.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri Oct 6 06:28:26 CDT 2006 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
# ipvsadm --version
ipvsadm v1.24 2003/06/07 (compiled with popt and IPVS v1.2.0)

  This is CentOS4 (RHEL4) system with ipvsadm from Red Hat Cluster Suite.

  Thanks,

  Mindaugas