LVS-Tun director not sending ipip packets

Simon Detheridge simon at widgit.com
Sun Oct 29 23:58:35 GMT 2006

Hi,

I have a pair of directors, and a pair of realservers. The directors
use heartbeat for high-availablility.

I've recently started having trouble with my backup director. I think
the problem started when I upgraded from heartbeat 1.2.3, to 1.2.5 --
although this may be coincidental. Foolishly I forgot to check it was
actually working correctly *before* I performed the upgrade. I only
upgraded heartbeat on the backup director - I'm not touching the
primary until I know the backup works.

When I stop heartbeat on my primary director, the backup director
correctly (it seems) takes over the VIP, and sets up the director
correctly. However, it does not appear to send any tunelled packets to
the realservers.

I have checked this with tcpdump. On my primary director, I can see
packets coming in to the VIP on the external interface, and going out
as ipip packets (tcp protocol 4) on the internal interface. The
realserver(s) then recieve these, and I can see them coming in as
protocol 4 on the internal interface, and as expected on the tunl0
interface.

When I stop heartbeat on my primary director, and the backup takes
over, I can see packets coming in on the VIP again, but no ipip
packets go out the external interface (or anywhere else).

The output of ipvsadm on each machine is identical (when they are
trying to be a director, obviously it's empty otherwise) and looks
like this:

Prot LocalAddress:Port Scheduler Flags
   -> RemoteAddress:Port           Forward Weight ActiveConn InActConn
TCP  10.32.32.15:www wlc
   -> 10.0.0.100:www   Tunnel  50     0          0
   -> 10.0.0.101:www Tunnel  50     0          0
TCP  10.32.32.15:https wlc
   -> 10.0.0.100:https Tunnel  50     0          0
   -> 10.0.0.101:https Tunnel  50     0          0

Thus, everything *looks* like it's configured both correctly, and
identically on both machines, but one is not working. Where would be
the next place to look, to figure out why?

Thanks,
Simon

--
Simon Detheridge