ldirectord not correctly starting after heartbeat upgrade

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Mon Oct 30 22:39:49 GMT 2006

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006, Simon Detheridge wrote:

> After solving my previous problem on my backup director, I then proceeded to
> upgrade my primary director (which was working fine) from heartbeat 1.2.3 to
> 1.2.5.

You upgraded a working machine! (slaps forehead) :-)

> All my configuration files remain the same. However, upon restarting
> heartbeat, ldirectord does not appear to set up my tunnels properly. It seems
> to hang, or something.

You might have to wait till Horms appears on the list (he's
been quiet for a couple of weeks now, and don't know when
he'll reappear).

> Here is what ipvsadm says on the working box:
>
> # ipvsadm -Ln
> IP Virtual Server version 1.2.0 (size=4096)
> Prot LocalAddress:Port Scheduler Flags
> -> RemoteAddress:Port           Forward Weight ActiveConn InActConn
> TCP  10.32.32.17:80 wlc
> -> 127.0.0.1:80                 Local   1      0          0
> TCP  10.32.32.15:80 wlc
> -> 10.0.0.100:80                Tunnel  50     0          0
> -> 10.0.0.101:80                Tunnel  50     0          0
> TCP  10.32.32.17:443 wlc
> -> 127.0.0.1:443                Local   1      0          0
> TCP  10.32.32.15:443 wlc
> -> 10.0.0.101:443               Tunnel  50     0          0
> -> 10.0.0.100:443               Tunnel  50     0          0
>
> 10.32.32.17 is supposed to be like that

you don't have entries for http, https in /etc/services?

> Now... when the newly upgraded box is first started, shows nothing set up (as
> expected):
> # ipvsadm
> IP Virtual Server version 1.2.0 (size=4096)
> Prot LocalAddress:Port Scheduler Flags
> -> RemoteAddress:Port           Forward Weight ActiveConn InActConn
>
> After starting heartbeat however, it shows the following:
>
> # ipvsadm
> IP Virtual Server version 1.2.0 (size=4096)
> Prot LocalAddress:Port Scheduler Flags
> -> RemoteAddress:Port           Forward Weight ActiveConn InActConn
> TCP  10.32.32.17:www wlc
> -> localhost:www                Local   1      0          0
> TCP  10.32.32.15:www wlc
> TCP  10.32.32.17:https wlc
> TCP  10.32.32.15:https wlc
>
> It seems to get stuck at this point. When I stop heartbeat, it does not
> return to the blank initial state, ipvsadm still shows the output directly
> above.

I don't know, I haven't used ldirectord in years, so I can
only suggest routine debugging steps.

o Does ldirectord use an ipvsadm.sav file? Is it OK?

o try running the init scripts with

#sh -x scriptname start >foo.out

and compare the outputs. I expect you know all this already.