[lvs-users] Seting up LVS as a Network Router

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Thu Aug 21 01:18:06 BST 2008

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008, tech wrote:

>> some people think that you shouldn't use PCs as routers in
>> the first place.
>>
>> http://web.ivy.net/~carton/rant/l3-switch/switch-unixrouterdoomed.html

> Thanks, When your an ISP it does. :-)

so ISPs use PCs as routers? Want to tell us about it? I had
assumed ISPs were all using Ciscos etc.

> Also don't really care about load balancing but I would
> love to have fail-over.

failover can be done without LVS eg HA-Linux. There are
router failover protocols - see Andre's keepalived, which
was originally a router failover, and then adapted to LVS. I
think that keepalived can still do router failover. I
believe Andre is working on his own router failover code.
Also Zebra implements the standard routing demons and you
can use those for failover.