[lvs-users] Question regarding LVS/DR setup

Erik Weber twiztar at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 13:32:21 BST 2008

Hi there,

I plan to implementing LVS/DR to load balance several services to
several hosts in a setup like this, preferable with the same VIP:

Host A is serving http requests on port 80 (VIP 192.168.0.1)
Host B is serving http requests on port 80 (VIP 192.168.0.1)
Host C is serving smtp requests on port 25 (VIP 192.168.0.1)
Host D is serving smtp requests on port 25 (VIP 192.168.0.1)

Host E is load balancing http requests on port 80 and redirecting to
Host A and Host B
Host E is load balancing smtp requests on port 25 and redirecting to
Host C and Host D

Is it possible for Host A and B to connect to the VIP at port 25? The
idea was to use the same vIP.  I've used the arptables method on Host A-D.
Ss there some hidden mechanisms or some other workarounds that could
make this work or do I have to use separate VIPs for services that's
supposed to connect to a VIP?