[lvs-users] RX Packet drops on high traffic LVS in DR setup

Graeme Fowler graeme at graemef.net
Fri Oct 24 08:01:02 BST 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-24 at 04:50 +0000, MontyRee wrote:
> I would like to know the maximal performance(PPS) of LVS too.
> and you mean that 40kpps is the limit of the LVS?

No.

> anyone who tested maximal PPS performance?
> any recommendation to improve the maximal PPS?

Better, bigger, faster hardware.

Off the top of my head:

Multiple CPUs
Multiple NICs on separate PCI buses
The fastest PCI bus and front-side bus you can get

Maybe, just maybe, AMD boards might be able to handle more interrupts -
since every packet generates an interrupt [0] - because of their
differing hardware architecture to Intel. That's a suggestion and not a
scientifically proven statement!

[0] This may not be true on some hardware and some operating systems,
since the packets can be aggregated if they're small and several sent up
the bus to interrupt the CPU at the same time.

The problem is that there's almost no benchmarks available, because
every single system in different.

Graeme