[lvs-users] ldirectord persistence

Malcolm Turnbull malcolm at loadbalancer.org
Mon Jan 19 14:13:10 GMT 2009

Jason,

The setting is in seconds...and I would suggest 1 hour for RDP.

Persistence > 15 minutes?
Some services such as TELNET, SSH, FTP & Terminal Server (RDP) may
require a persistence setting of
greater than 15 minutes.
If you require a persistence of greater than 15 minutes then you will
need to increase the load balancers
TCP time out value. The TCP time out can be set as a command in your
firewall script:
ipvsadm --set 3600 0 0
This example sets the TCP timeout to 1 hour, you should make sure this
timeout is the same as your
required persistence setting.

A protocol with a long session & persistence enabled such as Terminal
Server RDP maintenance can
become problematic because clients that disconnect and re-connect will
still go to the same server for the
length of the persistence timeout even if the server fails or is taken
down for maintenance.

You will probably want the following in your sysctrl.conf file:
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/vs/expire_quiescent_template
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/vs/expire_nodest_conn