[lvs-users] ipvs or apache/mod_proxy/mod_balancer

Michael Schwartzkopff misch at multinet.de
Tue Jun 30 13:51:42 BST 2009

Am Dienstag, 30. Juni 2009 14:39:49 schrieb Olaf Krische:
> Thanks for answering to everyone,
>
> Malcolm Turnbull wrote:
> > Usually we use Direct Routing mode with proxies(squids) because it is:
> >
> > a) source ip transparent
> > b) return traffic doesn't need to go via the load balancer
> > c) its fast
>
> Okay, i will try this out. Tho, i am not a big fan of giving each squid an
> IP. I do not own a big block.
>
> I used to have a hardware loadbalancer, which owns the VIP. It would
> rewrite the incoming packet by replacing the VIP with the IP of the chosen
> real server in the LAN. And the real server then had to answer back to the
> loadbalancer, so he can replace the IP of the real server with the VIP
> again. It felt more...self describing and did not need a special
> configuration on the real servers except the routing.

Hi,

you can do the same config with LVS. Just use NAT mode. The disadvantage: it
does not scale that good because every traffix has to be routed back through the
gateway. As a rule of the thumb you can tell: About 10 to 20 real servers  in
NAT mode.

--
Dr. Michael Schwartzkopff
MultiNET Services GmbH

mail: misch at multinet.de
web: www.multinet.de

Sitz der Gesellschaft: 85630 Grasbrunn
Geschäftsführer: Günter Jurgeneit, Hubert Martens

---

PGP Fingerprint: F919 3919 FF12 ED5A 2801 DEA6 AA77 57A4 EDD8 979B
Skype: misch42