[lvs-users] LVS and stale connections

Fabio Coatti cova at ferrara.linux.it
Tue Mar 31 17:14:16 BST 2009

In data martedì 31 marzo 2009 16:15:55, Malcolm Turnbull ha scritto:
> Ignore me I didn't see the first post saying no health checker was being
> used.

Well, that's not completely true. This behaviour happened when real servers
become fairly unresponsive due to high load (a sudden load spike) and while
the machines was able to establish a TCP connection, the underlying service
was not able to serve the requests and the close the connection in a
reasonable amount of time.
So the healtcheck was unable to help in this case (and requests were coming
very quickly).
some servers were able to close some connections, even if under an high load,
thus reducing the connection count (and receiving all the new requests).
Rebooted servers were at 0 load but weren't receiving any connection due to
high connection count on lvs.
given the fact that no command on ipvs was able to restore the right
situation, we waited for timeouts to expire and gradually the situation
recovered. But it take a quite high amount of time.