[lvs-users] Keepalive timeout

Adrian Chapela achapela.rexistros at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 07:22:14 BST 2009

Simon Horman escribió:
> On Fri, Oct 02, 2009 at 08:39:55AM +0200, Adrian Chapela wrote:
>
>> Joseph Mack NA3T escribió:

>>> which keepalive?

>>> where? client, realserver?

>>> why is the director in the path?

>>> what is the server? the realserver? some other box?
>>>
>>> Do you know about setting idle timeouts (see the HOWTO)
>>>

>> Don't get angry please. I am searching and If I am asking is because I
>> am lost in found the real problem. In your lines you have tell me the
>> real problem. A tcp timeout that is reaching in all connections on the
>> director.
>>
>> Re-reading the HOWTO I found the next command:
>>
>> $ipvsadm --set tcp tcpfin udp
>>
>> With this command I think on a problem. If I modify the tcp timeout I
>> will affect all tcp connections (If I only modify tcp parameter...) and
>> if you have a lot of connections you could waste all of your machine
>> resources.  Is there any way (I think that the HOWTO doesn't mention
>> this possibility ;) ) to apply a timeout to a virtual server.
>>

> Hi Adrian,
>
> the ipvsadm command above will set the timeouts for all connections to
> virtual services, but not for connections to the director that are not
> being handled by LVS. Does that suit your needs?

Yes because the service doesn't do any connection management. Only
listening a connection and then open the connection but never close the
connection. This is a problem because the service (but it is not a
keepalived problem ;) ) is wasting a lot of server resources by old
connections, failure connections.

thank you!