[lvs-users] keepalived: can it be used in cloud environment?

Siim Põder siim at p6drad-teel.net
Tue Jan 12 14:19:16 GMT 2010

Hi

Gerry Reno wrote:
> How can I use keepalived in a highly dynamic cloud environment?  How can
> I keep keepalived.conf up-to-date with the currently activated instances?

However, the answer to your question depends on what you mean by
"highly dynamic cloud environment". If you mean that changes in real
servers and services will occur from time to time then keepalived
absolutely supports this.

If you mean that you will be updating the configuration every 3
seconds, then YMMV. It might work, but you may discover new bugs as
most people probably don't use keepalived that way.

Also, you have to keep updating/generating the configuration file and
reloading (no downtime luckily) - there is not CLI or any other
similar machanism to dynamically update small parts of keepalived conf
in memory. You would most likely have to do some imaginative scripting.

Siim