[lvs-users] DNS not working

Neil Aggarwal neil at JAMMConsulting.com
Mon Apr 11 15:55:30 BST 2011

Hello:

I have a DNS server running on my load balancer.
I have ldirectord set up to send incoming requests
on the virtual IP to it.

Here is my ldirectord.cf entry:

# DNS Service
virtual=204.61.221.44:53
        real=127.0.0.1:53 masq
        service=dns
        scheduler=wlc
        protocol=udp
        checkport=53
        request="sandalisland.com"
        receive="204.61.221.44"

ipvsadm -L -n gives me this:

Prot LocalAddress:Port Scheduler Flags
  -> RemoteAddress:Port           Forward Weight ActiveConn InActConn
UDP  204.61.221.44:53 wlc
  -> 127.0.0.1:53                 Local   1      0          0

>From the load balancer, dns queries work fine.
Both of these give me a response:
dig @204.61.221.44 sandalisland.com
dig @127.0.0.1 sandalisland.com

But, when I go to a remote server to try the
dig on 204.61.221.44, it can't connect to the server:

; <<>> DiG 9.3.6-P1-RedHat-9.3.6-4.P1.el5_4.2 <<>> @204.61.221.44
sandalisland.com
; (1 server found)
;; global options:  printcmd

I checked the firewalls.  I don't think it is that.
Also, the remote machine can perform a dig on the
public IP of the load balancer and get a response.

DNS seems to work when I restart the machine, but then
stops working after I leave it alone for a long time.

Any ideas what is happening here?

Thanks,
	Neil

--
Neil Aggarwal, (281)846-8957, http://UnmeteredVPS.net/centos
Virtual private server with CentOS 5.5 preinstalled