[lvs-users] Is --timeout intended as non-persistent?

Graeme Fowler graeme at graemef.net
Wed Jul 27 13:22:43 BST 2011

On Tue, 2011-07-26 at 14:08 -0400, Kendrick Gay wrote:
> I've been working with a client who notes that the only way to set --timeout persistently in Red Hat Enterprise Linux is to directly apply it to the /etc/sysconfig/ipvsadm file.  A reboot seems to indicate that other parameters are retained.  The ipvsadm -S output does not appear to include the timeout values.
>
> Is there a reason for this?

--timeout is an option for the "-L" switch and is informational only.

Persistence timeout is set using the "-p" switch, which *is* displayed
using "-S" (this one is using fwmarks rather than IP addresses):

[root at server ~]# ipvsadm -S
-A -f 5 -s rr -p 60
-a -f 5 -r localhost.localdomain:http -g -w 100
-a -f 5 -r other.machine.in.cluster:http -g -w 100

What is your client actually trying to achieve here?

Graeme