[lvs-users] How to make LVS Direct Route work for UDP programs?

Simon Horman horms at verge.net.au
Thu Nov 24 00:09:47 GMT 2011

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 11:16:10AM +1300, Roger Littin wrote:
> Hi Wang,
>
> I have had similar problems where the director thinks the packet size is larger than mtu of the real
> server and sends back this message.  Do you see anything in wireshark to indicate this.  Overly
> large udp packet size?
>
> I think when the network layer hands off the packet to lvs, it may have already reassembled any
> fragments and then when lvs hands it back to the network layer, it is rejected because it is too
> large.

Hi Roger,

if you are seeing that problem then I suggest turning off
both GRO and LRO on the interface on the director that receives
the packets.

e.g.
# ethtool -k eth0 | egrep '(receive-offload)'
generic-receive-offload: on
large-receive-offload: on

# ethtool -K eth0 lro off
# ethtool -K eth0 gro off

# ethtool -k eth0 | egrep '(receive-offload)'
generic-receive-offload: off
large-receive-offload: off

IPVS may be used in conjunction with GRO since 2.6.39,
so it should not be necessary to disable GRO if
a 2.6.39 is used.

IPVS is not compatible with LRO as of 3.1 (or 3.2, when it is released)

LRO is specific to TCP.
GRO affects both TCP and UDP (and other protocols IIRC).