[lvs-users] localnode question

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Wed Nov 30 01:38:29 GMT 2011

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011, Dean Scothern wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to either disable or bypass the localnode behaviour in ipvs?

other than not using it?

> I'm trying to build a simple 2 node mail load balanced cluster.
> I have a mail server on each node and load balance between the two via a vip.
> I'm not allowed to use the lvs-dr method as our network guys say that asynchronous routing is forbidden by our firewalls.
>
> I can use lvs-nat, with a separate 'back-end' network between the two machines.

I don't understand your lvs. You have the director in
localnoce listening on the VIP and you have a 2nd box which
is listening on the RIP via LVS-NAT?

> However the localnode behaviour forces the mail server
> (exim) to listen on the vip. When the second node's mail
> server is migrated to the first node (pacemaker), it
> cannot be accessed as all connections go to the vip and
> hence the first mail server.

> It appears that there was some experimentation to address
> this some years ago, but I'm not sure if there have been
> any recent developments.

I thought there might have been something like this by Ted
Pavlic in the early days but I can't find it.

I expect the simplest thing to do is to get a 2nd realserver