[lvs-users] tuning http/https uploads through ipvs

David Warden warden at geneseo.edu
Sat Aug 25 03:56:04 BST 2012

We actually went through something similar with lvs-frontended Roundcube webmail, although our upload size limits were considerably lower than yours. Our behavior was mostly similar to yours: fast uploads when going directly to the realserver, slow uploads when going through the vip/director.

In our case the fix was tuning the ethtool -k <interface> values on the actual interface that carries the vip aliased interface on the lvs director. We didn't see errors on any interfaces either which confused us at first but packet captures led us to suspect the ethtool -k settings. I'm pretty sure we turned large receive offload, tcp segmentation offload and generic segmentation off and that seemed to make a difference. I understand your hesitation to tweak those kinds of settings but we haven't seen a negative impact since making the change and have been running with them in their current fashion for the better part of this year.

-David