[lvs-users] problem with ipvsadm display

Michael Schwartzkopff misch at schwartzkopff.org
Mon Jun 4 15:56:00 BST 2012

> ???
> Is the value of Conn also in hez???
> I'm  stumped for the difference values for ActiveConn & InactConn on output
> on ipvsadm and 'cat /proc/net/ip_vs'.
>
> for one: ActiveConn on ipvsadm(0), on 'cat /proc/net/ip_vs'(11807)
>
> any ideas?

Hi,

as far as I can remember the active connection counter is broken in Debian
Squezze. I don't know if this is fixed already.

But there a difference in active and inactive connections. ipvs counts a
connection as active where it did *not* see the FIN bit set (after SYN and
ACK).

When it saw the first packet with a FIN bit it counts this connection as
inactive until the timeout. Then the connection is deleted from the state
table.

So you always have quite a lot of inactive connections hanging around. Please
tune the timeout if you do not like it.

Greetings,

--
Dr. Michael Schwartzkopff