[lvs-users] Localhost (local vip) time out

Graeme Fowler graeme at graemef.net
Tue May 15 11:53:19 BST 2012

On Tue, 2012-05-15 at 09:01 +0200, Brent Clark wrote:
> I did as you suggest. I.e. look for "realservers as clients".
> If I understood correctly, esp the 'gotchas' page. You are not supposed to make calls / connections to yourself.
> E.g. I cant or not supposed to run wget to a virtual host, thats DNS points to a VIP?

The problem with connecting to a VIP (ignoring for a moment the loopback
case) is that the three-way TCP handshake can go wrong.

The simplest way to make a realserver connect to a VIP (as configured in
DNS) is to put the VIP on the realserver, so it always talks to itself.
In LVS-DR, which I think you're using, this should already be the case
anyway or the realservers won't reply to requests for the VIP.

Graeme