[lvs-users] LVS and Nat question

David Coulson david at davidcoulson.net
Wed Oct 24 02:17:39 BST 2012

On 10/23/12 9:12 PM, gary.gardner at brokensoftware.com wrote:
> I thought with the DR that the backend web servers had to have real IP's
> so they could get out to the Internet?  I had tried that and that didn't
> seem to work, but maybe it's just me.
Depends how your network is configured. If your real IP is 10.1.1.1 and
your internal range is 192.168.1.0/24, then your traffic to the real
servers will be entirely on 10.1.1.1 so as long as you're not doing any
NAT of that traffic you should be okay.

What about using the real IP didn't work? Where did the packets end up?

> So the VIP should be a 192.x.x.x, yes even for the DR?  Is my
> configuration just fubar'd?
The VIP for DR is your external IP.

It would be helpful if you slimmed down your config to one real server
and maybe ran tcpdump on it so you can see if traffic is even making it
to the backend.