[lvs-users] NFCT and PMTU

lvs at elwe.co.uk lvs at elwe.co.uk
Tue Sep 11 22:22:59 BST 2012

On Tue, 11 Sep 2012, Julian Anastasov wrote:

>> Under CentOS 3 (traditional interrupts) with SMP affinity set to all cores
>> (or rather half the cores for the external NIC and half for internal NIC)
>> load scaled linearly until it fell off a cliff and load hit 100% and more
>> generated traffic resulted in no more throughput (lots of Xoffs). I also
>> have some old data showing NFCT improving performance on CentOS 3.
>
> 	So, keeping netfilter conntracks (conntrack=1) uses
> less CPU cycles than creating conntracks with every
> packet (conntrack=0). I hope you have large nf_conntrack_max
> value for the conntrack=1 case.

I should give you some more information about my directors. As well as
being LVS directors they are doing firewalling with netfilter. I use
netfilter marks to tell IPVS which connections to route to which pool.
Thus netfilter will be tracking the state of every packet whether
conntrack=0 or conntrack=1.

I suspect that having IPVS keep netfilter up to date with what it is doing
is helping it to find the state of the connection in its state tracking
table quicker, thus there is less CPU load.

I have nf_conntrack_max set to just over 16 million, though I rarely go
over 2 million tracked connections (a good percentage are UDP). I also
have all the netfilter and IPVS timeouts set to much lower values than the
defaults, but still safe values. When I changed these values I reduced my
tracked connections by 90%. I also have my hash table set to the maximum
size, to avoid hash hits as much as possible.

At one point I experimented with spliting the director and netfilter
firewall onto seperate servers (with NFCT off on the director and no
netfilter modules loaded). The softirq load split exactly half onto each
server. I believe this is because IPVS and netfilter are very simular in
their state tracking and this is the most expensive part of both netfilter
and IPVS. Certainly getting rid of connection attempts from the most
prolific spammers in netfilter's raw table, before it does state tracking,
provides a huge reduction in the number of conntracks and the softirq
load.

I always put the fastest Xeon's I can get my hands on in my directors. At
one point I had a sub optimal memory configuration, so the server was
striping across 2 memory buses instead of 3. When I fixed the memory
configuration I saw softirq drop by 33%, suggesting the director was
waiting for reads from main memory most of the time.

Tim